Thomas Cannery typifies the light American industrial architecture of the early twentieth century. Built between 1917 and 1918, these buildings were once the largest and first vegetable canneries in Montgomery county continuing to provide employment until the 1960s. At it’s peak, the cannery was the primary employer in Gaithersburg, providing regular full and part-time employment for hundreds of workers but closed in 1963, after fire damage. These once vacant buildings are located at one of the four gateways to the City’s Olde Towne District off of East Diamond Avenue (MD route 117). Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Maryland Historical Trust, this site was redeveloped into a premier commercial and employment center.
With 90 percent of the building’s 12,000 square feet leased, the Thomas Cannery is considered a true success story of redeveloping and preserving historic places.
The project was recognized on June 3, 2005 at the Annual Montgomery County Awards for Historic Preservation for “Renovation and Rehabilitation of a Historic Resource for Commercial Use.”